Friday, January 11, 2008


Page Six reports that Oprah went to the premiere performance of Chaka Khan in "The Color Purple", on Broadway and at the point in the second act where the two lead actors become lesbian lovers and successful at the same time, a witness reported that Oprah’s eyes welled with tears.

My favourite Page Six sources are “a witness” and “a source”. That way, you can more or less print anything. Like yesterday’s piece about Jamie Lynn Spears liking the soundtrack to Juno. I don’t know why it’s taken me this long to start mentioning shit like that. I mean, I have a degree in freaking journalism.

Anyway, the story itself includes a mention of Oprah’s gal-pal, the terminally unlikable Gayle King, celebrity psycho-publicist Denise Rich, a mention of Barack Obama, tidbits about Newark Mayor Cory Booker, Robert De Niro, Grace Hightower and Patti LaBelle.

And yet, despite all those things, the point of the story is actually really that Oprah teared up at the sight of two lesbians finding each other and becoming rich and powerful. I mean, admit it. That’s the real point. [source]

No comments: