Monday, June 25, 2007

The entire time an interview with Paris Hilton has been a possibility for Barbara Walters she has been salivating all over Kathy Hilton and Paris, providing both with a softened, maternal mouthpiece whenever they needed it and now that she’s out of the running Walters is trying to play the “it’s all beneath me” card. Cindy Adams quotes Walters as saying:

"Look, I've done prison interviews before, but people like the Menendez Brothers were really important news stories," said the First Lady of the Soundbites. "This wasn't. And even though I'd already written my questions, when all that pay-for-play stuff happened, I suddenly felt this was not up to my standard. It . . . felt . . . sort of . . . Tawdry. The whole thing somehow was beneath me. Besides, it was a no-win. If I did a tough piece and her tears started to flow, it would be, 'Oh, there's Barbara Walters making people cry again.' Too soft, and I'd be criticized."

Even though it’s about her playing the “I’m a bigger person card” there seem to be undertones of resentment or bitterness there. She was working hard to get an exclusive for weeks by repeatedly playing the “this scenario is too complex for me to have an opinion” card when Joy Behar sounded off on the subject tearing into the Hiltons – simply because she wanted the Hiltons on side. All of a sudden it’s tawdry? Paris is the embodiment of cheap thrills and tawdriness. It’s been tawdry for ever – why is it suddenly too tawdry? [source]

No comments: