Thursday, February 14, 2008



Who is Lane Garrison? Exactly. I wouldn’t have known either. Well, I mean, now that I think about it I know he’s an actor and that he’s in prison at the moment for killing a teenager while driving DUI but apart from that nothing. So, he’s been in prison for a while, even after making a series of hard core impassioned pleas to the judge and to the public through a couple of PSAs and just as we were about to completely forget he even exists, he’s managed to thrust himself back into the public consciousness by writing a letter to Access Hollywood:

“Greetings and Happy New Year to you and everyone at Access Hollywood from Donovan State Prison. Never did I think I would be saying the words ‘happy & prison’ in the same sentence and not be on a set. It’s pure irony coming from the show and now living the real deal. It’s surreal and mind-blowing to say the least.
Just this past Monday they let a group of inmates watch the season premiere of Prison Break. It felt like an out of body experience as I stood around a crowd of tattooed felons watching Michael Scofield try to escape … all of us longing to be free as well!
This has been the hardest year of my life. I hope people, young and old, are learning from my mistakes and what can happen when you drink and drive. I have much to say about the pain I’ve felt and seen inside of prison. It has been eye-opening and a harrowing experience.” “Greetings and Happy New Year to you and everyone at Access Hollywood from Donovan State Prison,” Garrison wrote. “Never did I think I would be saying the words ‘happy & prison’ in the same sentence and not be on a set. It’s pure irony coming from the show and now living the real deal. It’s surreal and mind-blowing to say the least.”


Because when you’re in prison and you’re an actor in Hollywood, you write to Access Hollywood. I mean, TV is your friend, right. But for Garrison this is really a pretty smart thing to do. Thanks to that letter I know for certain he used to be on Prison Break and in fact now that I’ve read it, it seems viable to potentially hire him back if and when he gets out of prison.

He’s done everything right; there’s the unresentful opening, there’s “now living the real deal” which makes us remember he was on TV in Prison Break except now, even though he’s off the show, he’s still edgy and even more authentic, there’s the “we watched the season premiere of Prison Break” advertising the show and reinforcing his role with it, the totally eye roll worthy “I hope people young and old are learning from my mistakes and what can happen when you drink and drive” which makes him seem responsible and my personal favourite, “I have much to say about the pain I’ve felt and seen inside of prison”- which is not only just a basic editorial pitch it’s also, when you think about it, a way of picking up where Paris Hilton failed. She refused to really talk about prison THAT much because she wanted to wash herself clean of it but I suspect the opposite might be helpful for Garrison and his role with Prison Break.

But then, let’s face facts, there’s no way in hell he wrote that letter himself. [source]

No comments: