Monday, November 26, 2007

When I looked at the Towleroad posting about Boy George being made to stand trial on February 28 net year for imprisoning a rent boy and threatening him with sex toys, the main thing that really stood out to me was the fact that, in the picture posted (and let's face it, for like 3 years now) he looks a lot like Uncle Fester and should therefore really stop calling himself BOY George. He may do better to give people a slight headstart by adopting the name “Probably unwell, beaten down night dwelling freak barrel stomached” George.

Oh, I kid. I loved Taboo.

I saw it on Broadway for free a couple of years ago and had third row orchestra seats. Euan Morton was SO good but George was really really bad in it and the whole thing lacked a central point and focus but still, it was on and I didn’t pay so you know, whatever. Plus, I always love those stories about someone’s rise to fame. I get out my checklist and compare notes with the celebrity being portrayed. It always starts with boredom in a small town in early life which I remember having so that's a "check". Then they say something about how, say, the celebrity didn't like team sports at school and I also experienced that distain so I always feel like maybe it could be the story of my life but then it's clear that it's not in about 15 minutes. Still, I didn't pay so...you know, it's cool.

Plus, about two years ago I dated this stylist who told me that a Japanese female model he knew named Tomoko or something was staying with Boy George in New York because she was working with him on something for a week and then eventually she wanted to leave but Boy George refused to giver her the return plane ticket he had promised her presumably because he wanted her to stay. She had to really insist and beg and he still wouldn’t give out easily.

When you put these two stories together, they’re similar in the sense that they both involve “imprisonment” of some kind but seeing as this latest one is about a rent boy and Boy George is gay you just know the media are going to focus on his sexual exploits rather than the real issue.
The real issue isn’t that Boy George is a total psychopath sex freak. No, it’s not that. It’s that he’s just crippled with pointlessness and loneliness. THAT’S the real story. A dildo and some chains will always outshine inner darkness and crippling loneliness although, the latter is always so much funnier in the re-telling. [source]

No comments: