Wednesday, October 03, 2007

The New York Post reports that Brad Pitt has explained in Parade Magazine that he’s not copying Angelina Jolie by adopting a stable of international kids, "I do it because I'm a member of the human race," he was quoted as saying. Hello? Was anyone sincerely unsure of Brad Pitt’s ability to make decisions for himself? Sure, Angelina Jolie is daring, extremely beautiful and sort of like a human/jaguar hybrid but just because no one raves about Pitt’s humanitarian capacity doesn’t mean that he has none.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have gone on this long without becoming a farce which takes some real focus and talent and it also means they are very clearly the new Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. They’re equally powerful in their Freudian, male/female power dynamic and without each other the extravagant wave of celebrity influence would be diminished. She’s the archetype woman and he’s the archetype man and aside from their exploding movie careers and exhaustive, relentless beauty, the component that joins them together is their love of a smorgasbord of children to carry about the world. They’re a perfect balance of cultural signifiers.

Everything is in its place with Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie. Nothing is wrong. They are a perfect duo. A beacon of purity. One thing I haven’t thought about until now though and I’m glad I’m thinking about it finally is that Angelina Jolie HAS to use the bathroom at some point. She has to, at some point in her international travels and sampling of local cuisine in Africa or Asia say, “Oh, I’m sorry everyone – I just ate something that has made me feel nauseous and if I don’t leave and use the bathroom now then it’s going to be unpleasant for everyone here. You know, the smell etc…”

Brad Pitt has to say that kind of thing too. I think it’s safe to assume that they both probably experience digestive complications at various times. [source]

No comments: