Tuesday, October 21, 2008



Ok, so, the embed code for the above video is longer and more inanely complex than any other code I have ever seen but in many ways that doesn’t surprise me in the slightest seeing as what it is actually featuring is one of the most hyped and yet pointless, vapid TV show ideas currently threatening to take up time on a network schedule. After all, it's just a video clip but it demands more space and time and energy than anything else and yet delivers nothing more. Just like the show. The premise is that Whitney Port ie. Whitney from The Hills, has landed in New York City and has taken a job working for some PR firm or for a fashion company or something and she walks around the city being touted as a younger, more controlled, contrived and less edgy Carrie Bradshaw. Gee, what a breath of fresh air.

I was watching her swan about in clothes, talk to thin woman who walk the sidewalk like it’s a runway in that high school cheerleader LA vernacular about vocus and direction and seriousness and I was thinking, gee, what could possibly make this just the complete definition of insufferable? I wonder. So, my colonial angst set in and I though, “If they put some generic Australian alpha male with scruffy facial hair and a thick put-on accent model wannnabe in this as her potential date I will vomit my freaking guts out” and then all of a sudden, she’s sitting at a cafĂ© table with some generic Australia alpha male with scruffy facial hair and a thick put-on accent male model who says “Oi can boiee your personuw Austrayan tewah goide” .

It’s like you could basically predict everything that is going to happen in this series now. Ok, I’m doing that now. I’m thinking about it but then my brain revolts from the task and just shuts down. My brain refuses to even go through the process. I really cannot, for the life of me, figure out what these shows give people. Well, that’s not true either. I think about it and it all flows down to banality and ego escapism and self loathing. This is why someone like Sarah Palin is a viable option. I keep saying that but it’s true.

No comments: