Friday, November 07, 2008




The New York Post reports that Nicole Kidman says she felt like a silent partner in her marriage to Tom Cruise – I guess, primarily because she probably was that in a legal sense. She was interviewed in Glamour Magazine and she said the following:

I felt I became a star only by association. I didn't think [my early movies] were very good, which is why I would always cower in the background," the flame-haired Academy Award winner tells Glamour. "I thought, I don't deserve to be here. We would go to the Oscars, and I would think, I'm here to support him. I felt it was my job to put on a beautiful dress and to be seen and not heard."

That was always the idea. That’s how Cruise Corp works. You provide the beard, he provides the step up. What’s to figure out? As far as feeling as though it was her job to put on a beautiful dress and to be seen and not heard – judging by the behaviour of Katie Holmes that IS the job of the wife of Tom Cruise. It’s like the job of an aristocrat in the 18th Century. You just produce an heir and then you swan about in expensive clothes and celebrate social victories and conquests and plot social downfalls and hide behind fans. I mean, that’s the point.

Mind you, Nicole Kidman got in and out and it seemed to work pretty well for her because during that period of time, Tom Cruise was a lot more open to the kinds of things he’d allow his wife/partner to do. Katie Holmes has scored a contract during the time period where Tom Cruise’s maniacal behaviour is at its worst so she only gets to do plays and the odd innocuous female comedy. That’s the irony of it all; Katie Holmes can’t possibly really benefit from this marriage until after it’s over.

In a way, Nicole Kidman’s marriage to Tom Cruise is the marriage that has kept on giving though because she knows the truth about what the deal is with him and now, every time she brings out a new film she can trot out new juicy little tidbits about the inner workings of Tom Cruise’s mind.

[source]

No comments: