Thursday, December 04, 2008


There’s really nothing like a quality collaboration between unlikely teams. I am personally always partial to one of those sitcoms from the later half of the 20th Century where people from totally different shows meet up and hang out. Right now, for example, I’m thinking about the The He-Man Christmas Special. I was anyway, but this music video really makes it seem relevant because it was almost inane to see the rippling machine made body of He Man standing next to Santa Claus but underneath the inanity there was a certain allusion to unity. Here’s a section of it. I can’t get past how reassuring the woozy, crap soundtrack is.



That’s why the new music video for LCD Sound System’s “New York, I Love You…” that features Kermit the Frog is more or less enjoyable. It’s certainly not overtly disappointing. I’ll give it that.
I mean, you can tell it’s not the REAL Kermit because there’s some complication going on with the green fabric neck but I mean, the point is there and sometimes that’s enough. Kermit himself is a symbol of simple clarity that has come from an urban environment.
This isn’t the first time Kermit has dabbled in a melancholy repertoire and I would put that down to the fact that his life as a children’s television star probably required a lack of emotional balance in him. Below is Kermit’s cover of Hurt. It’s less soul wrenching than the Johnny Cash cover but then, Kermit is, when you get down to it, actually little more than a mass of green fabric with some good intentions projected onto him.
Still, it makes it viable that the pure sanitation of children’s television isn’t a sanctified bubble within which nothing complex, realistic or dark ever happens and vice versa and while that may not be such great news for the kids, it’s fine by me.


No comments: