Friday, December 12, 2008


Legendary pin up girl, Bettie Mae Page has died in Los Angeles at the age of 85. The first time I ever heard of Ms. Page was when I was 16 and embarking on a study of obscenity in high school and I collected pictures of her. I remember reading that she worked out every day and dieted with military strictness and it was that part that really fascinated me. Learning that about her concreted for me, the point at which she consciously dealt with the reality of who she was; a canvas for straight male fantasies.

Plus, so many angry young women over the years have sstyled themselves on Bettie Page. The woman I bought a corset from in 1999, for example. She had a nice brother named Greg but she was angry and gothic. Actually, Greg was one of those flirty straight guys who are intriguing at first but then it's boring because they're really just attention seeking actors.

Also, the other night I was at the Paper Magazine Awards and one of the presenters, Aimee Phillips, seemed to be styled like her with the razor sharp, eyebrow level black bangs and a put-on 1950s vernacular which admittely seemed to slip half way through her presentation but I knew it was Bettie Page.

Bettie Page was a quality broad who championed free speech and for that she should be commended. RIP Bettie Page. [source]

No comments: